English language courses for those who need to improve their written and spoken English before starting a degree course.
Award-winning language training
The College has a long tradition of teaching English language and has plenty of expertise on campus because it has its own integral English language school, the London branch of the British Study Centres School of English, which was recently voted the Best English Language School in Europe.
Students whose English is of at least B1 standard (IELTS 4.0 in all four skills), but below the standard required for their chosen course, are advised to enrol our Pre-Sessional English Language programme.
Students whose English is below B1 standard should apply directly to our specialist on-campus English Language School (www.british-study.com).
What level of English do I need for my Student Visa? - A quick reference guide...
If you are an overseas student from outside the EU you will need to take an approved test called a SELT (which stands for Secure English Language Test) such as IELTS, TOEFL or Pearson in order to apply for a student visa to study at the College. (See this page for information on where you can take a SELT).
However you do not need to take a SELT before you apply for admission. If you do not submit a SELT result with your Application Form we will simply make the SELT a condition of your acceptance. In other words we will tell you that you are admitted to the College provided you send to us a SELT result with the necessary score.
What SELT score do I need for a Tier 4 Student Visa?
Your SELT score requirement will depend on the course you want to study with us (see below) but the minimum score needed to qualify for a student visa is B1 (eg IELTS 4.0) for a course below degree level, and B2 (eg IELTS 5.5) for a course of degree level or above. If you need a visa for a degree course and you have achieved Level B1 but you need level B2 you should enrol on the Pre-Sessional English course combined with your chosen degree course.
Please note that these are the scores required by the UK Border Agency. The score required by the College may be higher. See individual subject pages for the College requirements.
Please also note that the requirements given are for the IELTS only. There are many other SELTS, such as TOEIC, BULATS and City & Guilds, and they all use different grading systems.
SELT level requirements:
The list below shows the SELT scores that are required for a successful student visa application for each of the courses we offer.
(Please note that where example IELTS scores are quoted, these must be achieved in all four skills: Reading, Writing, Speaking & Listening).
Business, Marketing & Finance
- Diploma in Business Administration - SELT Level B1 (e.g. IELTS Score 4.0)
- BBA - SELT Level B2 (e.g. IELTS Score 5.5)
- BA in Business & Finance - SELT Level B2 (e.g. IELTS Score 5.5)
- BA in Accountancy - SELT Level B2 (e.g. IELTS Score 5.5)
- Pre-MBA Diploma - SELT Level B1 (e.g. IELTS Score 4.0)
- MBA - SELT Level B2 (e.g. IELTS Score 5.5)
- MSc. in Marketing - SELT Level B2 (e.g. IELTS Score 5.5)
- MSc. in Financial Management - SELT Level B2 (e.g. IELTS Score 5.5)
- Diploma in Business & IT - SELT Level B1 (e.g. IELTS Score 4.0)
- BA in Business Administration in IT - SELT Level B2 (e.g. IELTS Score 5.5)
Hotel & Tourism Management
- Diploma in Hospitality & Tourism Management - SELT Level B1 (e.g. IELTS Score 4.0)
- BA in Hospitality & Tourism Management - SELT Level B2 (e.g. IELTS Score 5.5)
- Diploma in Fashion Design - SELT Level B1 (e.g. IELTS Score 4.0)
- BA in Fashion Design - SELT Level B2 (e.g. IELTS Score 5.5)