Heriot-Watt University Bachelor's Degree in Accountancy (BA)
An intensive two year programme leading to a British university degree.
Initially this course is identical in content to the Bachelors degree in Business Administration but in the later stages becomes more specialised in the areas of accountancy and finance.
It can be used as a qualification in its own right, for employment in any financial environment, but is particularly suitable for those who wish to go on to train as chartered accountants via in-company training contracts with big accountancy firms. It is also ideal preparation for the MSc in Financial Management or for the MBA, giving credit entry to both of these programmes and a consequent reduction in the tuition fee.
Course structure/syllabus (July '13, January '14)
Course structure/syllabus (July '14 onwards)
Tuition, course materials and assessment
Students take three subjects per semester and are assessed in each by a 3 hour written examination in which they must achieve 40% to pass. (From July 2014 this will change to four subjects per semester, each assessed by a 2 hour written examination). Students are provided with a University prepared course manual for each subject and the cost of these is included in the tuition fees. Whilst on course students have access to optional English language training, individual remedial tuition in the Tuition Support Centre, and lecture notes and additional learning materials via the College's virtual learning environment, my-WLC.
Each student receives a full set of University prepared course notes for each subject module.
Credit entry, and a consequent reduction in tuition fees, may be granted to students with relevant existing qualifications (such as direct entry to Semester 3 for holders of a relevant Higher National Diploma) and all applications to the course are assessed for this possibility by the Registry.
- 2 years
- Undergraduate Diploma in Business Administration or other comparable relevant diploma or A-Levels (minimum grades CCD until Jan 2014; ABB from July 2014), plus O-level English Language (or equivalent, or IELTS 6 with a score of 6 for Writing)
- Year 2 entry: HND, ABE Advanced Diploma or equivalent.
UKBA (United Kingdom Border Agency) Requirements:
- SELT Level B2
Next Course Dates:
- 30th July 2013
- 28th January 2014
- Bachelor's Degree in Accountancy. Designatory letters: BA (Degrees awarded at a graduation ceremony at Heriot-Watt University)
- This course is rated on the Scottish Credit and Qualification Framework at SCQF Level 9, which is comparable to English NQF Level 6
- £ 5,960 per year (UK/EU/EEA students)
- £ 6,920 per year (overseas students)
Heriot-Watt University has been named as Scottish University of the Year for both 2011/12 and 2012/13 in the Sunday Times University Guide. The Award was made on the basis of Heriot-Watt's innovation, teaching excellence and research and the employability of its graduates. Alastair McCall, Editor of The Sunday Times University Guide said: 'The University has a fine record for innovation and relevant research and its graduates are highly regarded throughout the world'.